Join The San Joaquin County
Final Filing Deadline for
Communications Dispatcher I Applications is
October 14, 2022.
ABOUT OUR DEPARTMENT
The San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Department Communications Dispatch Center provides service to San Joaquin County, including one community service district, Mountain House. There are currently 867 total positions in the Sheriff’s Department, including 25 Communications Dispatcher I/II, 6 Communications Dispatcher III, and 7 Communications Dispatcher IV. Positions are located at French Camp at the Sheriff’s Office.
Our mission statement
The San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Department is dedicated to delivering service through the creation of partnerships with the people we serve. All members of this department will carry out their duties and responsibilities to such a manner as to afford dignity, respect, and compassion to every individual with whom they come in contact. With community partnerships as our foundation, we are driven by goals to enhance the quality of life, investigating problems as well as incidents, seeking solutions, and fostering a sense of security in communities and individuals. We nurture public trust by holding ourselves to the highest standards of performance and ethics.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Communications Dispatchers are responsible for receiving emergency and service request telephone calls. Incumbents begin working in this classification, performing communications dispatch work in a learning capacity. Incumbents are expected to work all phases of communications center duties as experience is gained. Employees may work rotating shifts on a twenty-four-hour basis, seven days a week.
- Receives, evaluates and prioritizes 911 calls for services; elicits information necessary to identify problems and evaluate the urgency and seriousness of the problem; determines the appropriate action; completes call form for dispatching purposes.
- Operates a Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) terminal to enter calls for service and to dispatch the appropriate units for the Sheriff’s Department, other law enforcement agencies and fire districts that serve the San Joaquin County area; contacts ambulance companies to dispatch their emergency vehicles accordingly.
- Ensures facility security through the operation of all entry and exit doors and sallyports for both the perimeter and interior jail zones.
- Operates various office equipment, including multi-channel computerized radio system and multi-line computerized telephone system; operate keyboards and computer terminals.
- Assists callers in emergency situations by informing them of lifesaving procedures until help arrives.
- May perform general clerical duties as required.
Final Filing Date: October 14, 2022
Written Exam Date: Week of October 31, 2022
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Communications Dispatcher I/II Requires Either/or :
Experience: Six months performing journey-level clerical work or operating multi-line telephone or radio communications systems or one year of experience working in a law enforcement environment.
Education: Completion of 30-semester units from an accredited college or university.
Experience: One year of experience working in a law enforcement environment.
Pre-Employment Physical, Drug Screen, and Background: Potential new hires into this classification are required to successfully pass a pre-employment examination, a pre-employment drug screen, and a background investigation as a condition of employment.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Approximate Monthly Base Salary: $3,913.07-$4,756.36
In addition to the base salary, the County offers an excellent benefits plan which includes a county contribution to health insurance, dental, and vision insurance plans.
Other benefits also offered by the County include:
- 1937 Act defined benefit retirement plan with reciprocity with CalPERS
- 10 days of vacation leave a year (15 days after three years, 20 days after 10 years, 23 days after 20 years)
- 12 days of sick leave annually with unlimited accumulation
- 14 paid holidays per year
- 125 Flex Benefits Plan Educational Reimbursement Program
- Life Insurance up to $10,000
- Educational Reimbursement Program
The San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office will be offering a hiring incentive in the amount of $10,000 ($3,000 upon completion of the Academy, $3,000 after one year, $4,000 after completion of 6th year of service). The department will award the cash incentive to any person who is hired for the position of Deputy Sheriff Trainee within the timeframes this program is active and so approved by the San Joaquin County Board of Supervisors.
Additionally, a moving stipend reimbursement up to $2,000 for any cost directly associated with relocating their primary residence as a result of gaining employment with this office is available.